[Rhodes22-list] Bucking at Mooring

David Huckabee huckabee_david at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 18:28:58 EDT 2006

Andrew Collins noted that his Rhodes was more likely than other boats to "buck" at his mooring than other boats moored nearby.

  Last season was my first experience with a Rhodes.  I moor in a semi-exposed location with several power and small sailboats.

  When1 to 2ft rollers would come in when the wind was right, my Rhodes was the only boat among its neighbors that truly made me seasick to watch.  The other boats would move, but my Rhodes would first point about 30 degrees off the wave front, and then about 30 degrees the other way.

  I noted that my mooring pennant was about twice as long as the other boats, so this year, I'm going to shorten the pennant and give it a try.
  andrew collins engineerpac at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:52:05 EDT 2006
  Laurie -

The boat was previously owned by Robert Earl Fuller out of Florida, and had
an aqua bottom coat. Stan convinced me to put the red over it, so when it
wears away the lighter blue will show through. Is it your boat? Even if not,
I am all ears for tips on Rhodes. My newest question is:

Are the R22's prone to a lot of movement when moored? The last 4 days have
been gusty (15-30 mph) and the other boats in the mooring field moved about,
but Carmen looked like a bucking bronco. I do believe the other sails to be
keelboats, and they are all much longer and heavier - cause and effect?

Andrew