[Rhodes22-list] Fwd: Sinking of the Oriskany 17-May-2006

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 29 11:14:45 EDT 2006

Hank,

Thanks for the site.

This is something I follow, and I was waiting for a good set of pictures.

Here's my question, and it's not to start a fight.

The government won't let us pee in the water, but feels it's ok to sink
a ship to save money on taking it apart.

At the Pearl Harbor Memorial, the Arizona is still leaking oil, 65 years
later.

When ships sink, stuff winds up in the water.  Is it ok to sink ships on
purpose?

Would it be OK to sink a nuclear powered aircraft carrier?

If we don't sink our aging nuclear powered fleet, how are we going to
get rid of it?

There are already a number of nuclear powered craft on the ocean
bottom--very deep.  The shallow ones we retrieve.

Bill Effros

PS  -- I was just checking my facts.  The first hit on "Pearl Harbor
Arizona" is http://www.nps.gov/usar/ .  I hadn't realized until this
moment that more soldiers have now died in Iraq than died at Pearl
Harbor.  I guess it's a fitting thing to note on Memorial Day.