[Rhodes22-list] Drive shaft dripping

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 12:31:54 EST 2006

Brad,

A slow drip, say 1 drop every 5-10 seconds, is normal even when the boat is
not running.  The only way to eliminate drips completely is to install a
dripless shaft seal.

IRT, your toy, it makes me think of the old joke, Doctor it hurts when I
cough.  So don't Cough!  So don't bring the idle down below 1000!  Easy fix,
next problem?

Seriously, I used to have a similar problem on a Chevy Truck, except in
reverse.  At idle and slow speeds the engine ran fine, but at highway speeds
the engine would sputter.  The pump was in failing mode and supplied a
reduced amount of fuel, which was fine at lower speeds, but not sufficient
at highway speeds.

Here is an idea.  In a regular carburetor, the pump sends fuel up to a
supply chamber in teh carburetor that is there to react to immediate changes
in throttle settings.  It sounds like your pump quits working below 1000 rpm
and the engine dies once the feed chamber has been emptied.

Hank