[Rhodes22-list] list admin-Michael's Measurements

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 13:36:39 EST 2006

OK, Michael,

Here is the definitive scoop on the measurements. I
had to get inventive as it was raining & wind was
blowing & everyone had left...(I held the tape with my
foot to get the right angle). It was quite a ballet!

I measured from three places on the boat to the
ground, then measured the height of the blocks under
the keel and subtract that from the first number.

At the bow, it was 76" to the ground; the blocks at
the FRONT of the keel were 15" high, so the
measurement is 61" to the front of the keel.

Amidships, at the side stay, the measurement was 72"
to the ground; the blocks were 13" high, so the
measurement is 59" to the middle of the keel.

At the right rear corner of the transom (couldn't get
to the middle of the rear as there was a HUGE
puddle)the height was 60" from the ground; the blocks
again were 13"; leaving 47" to the bottom of the keel.

If you are looking for the measurement, as you said,
to where the boat would take on water, I would go with
60" (between the side stay & the transom), as that
would be the lowest point on the boat.

(Thanks to Kevin H., whose lovely R-22 was the
specimen I used!)

elle