[Rhodes22-list] Considering a Recycled R22

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 11:09:20 EST 2006

Nan,
Welcome to the Rhodes List. Your request for information is a breath of
fresh air now that the elections are done.
I always try to tell people to try to imagine what they will use the
accessories for and whether or not they really need all the latest  gadgets.
My boat is very basic, no compass, no depth gauge, but I do have a great
stereo and a good VHF (marine) radio. These are two must haves for me.
Depth gauge and compass might be nice where you sail, but are for the most
part worthless to me on an inland lake. I use the centerboard as my depth
gauge.  Should it start to drag, I'm in shallow water and need to exit quickly.
I have a VHF antenna at the top of my mast which serves both the stereo and
the marine radio. I also have a Windex (wind indicator) mounted on the
antenna.
Remember, the more gadgets you have installed, the more time you will spend
repairing them. They are nice when they work, but a pain when they don't. Try
to  envision how you will use your boat and go from there.

Rummy