[Rhodes22-list] Mayday

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Nov 25 16:21:41 EST 2006

Rummy,

I have to assume this is the result of cutbacks in government spending.
There is really no excuse for it.

You can't give emergency information on a list like this because what's
right for one region will get you killed in another.

The beauty of the *CG was that at least it was standardized--it didn't
matter what cellphone company, or what region.  I don't even think you
had to have an active account with any cell phone company.  If you were
in trouble on the water you could press *CG and get directly connected
to the Coast Guard.

You can't imagine how many boats are out on LIS on a summer
weekend--each with an expensive radio and a high mounted antenna.  The
radio traffic is incessant and inane on every channel.

Bill Effros