[Rhodes22-list] Mayday

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 15:23:01 EST 2006

Gee you'd think they'd want to use their cell phones to
contact their friends, rather than the radio :-)

That is most of what I hear out on the Bay, people hailing
their friends,and then switching to another channel to
chat, or to give position to hook up.  You'd think they'd
used the cell phone for that, and avoid all the extra
noise, and missed connections (I sometimes hear both
parties, when they can't hear each other).

This past Summer I was on LIS, I didn't think it was too
bad .. but I was out on the East end and in RI most of the
time.

I have head and read about the chatter closer to NYC & NJ
and understand they're using channel 9 to announce new
warnings; makes sense if there is so much chatter on 16 you
can't get a break to announce anything.

Back to your original post -- I guess you'll need to hold
"crew training" when you bring out non-sailors, or buy some
expensive equipment like COB enabled GPS & VHF networked to
your GPS.  I guess you can try 9-1-1 and they should
contact the USCG for you within a reasonable time.

good luck Bill