[Rhodes22-list] Wiring project finis

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Sep 6 12:47:05 EDT 2006

All electrical connections on a boat should be protected from corrosion,
mostly as a result of water intrusion (salt water is the worst.)  The most
important thing one can do to prevent corrosion is to make the joint "gas
tight".  Rubber or vinyl coatings (liquid or tape) are very good at this,
assuming that the environment is reasonable dry when the material is
applied.  If you seal moisture in the joint it will fail, even if soldered.

BTW, even though I prefer soldering, if you are not skilled at soldering or
cannot clean the wires and terminals properly to "tale the solder" (yes, you
may need to use a flux component at times) you may be better using a
mechanical joining technology such as a crimped connector.  As far as
crimped connectors go, I prefer those that pierce the insulation in addition
to simply crimping.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer