[Rhodes22-list] Elle's Reply

Mark Skapinker marks at brightspark.com
Fri Sep 22 11:34:01 EDT 2006

Elle Hi,

I bought a Rhodes 22 three/four years ago and it came with a wheel from
the previous owner.
I have had my "ups and downs" with it. On the whole, it is great and I
have excellent control over the boat. I get a lot of "stares" from other
boats because it makes a 22' Rhodes look like a much bigger boat. (Of
course, when they see the rest of the incredible features, then they get
REALLY jealous).

The only bad experience I had was one day this summer. When I launched
my boat this year (I am in Toronto, Canada so full winterizing is
standard here), my trusty marina store suggested a new pin for the
rudder. Sure enough, on a very windy day this summer with 2 newbie
sailors on the boat with me, the new rudder pin broke. Well, as you can
imagine, the entire rudder started flapping round and I went in circles.
Because of the wheel, I could not figure out how to make any type of
emergency rudder (although Stan and Elton did show me something a while
back that I forgot). So, I simply used the ropes to completely remove
the rudder from the water and lowered the outboard engine and used that
as a rudder to get home. We were always safe and the ease of lifting the
rudder made it all easy. One new rudder pin at home and we were on our
way again!

I have Stan's "skipper's swivel seats" on either side and the only way
to steer and sit on the seat with a wheel is with your feet. In
reasonably calm waters, it is fun and quite comfy.

Enjoy and good luck!

Mark