[Rhodes22-list] Drunken 'Lady'

Dan B danbford at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 00:11:15 EDT 2007

Hi Elle,
Yup, mine looks just like that... almost.
Firstly, I moved the fuel tank to the starboard side and just ran a longer fuel hose. I did use some 2inch plastic pipe to make a chase for the hose running from the starboard side to the port side, so it didn't dip in the lazaret. I was concerned about starving the engine for fuel, or taking the system with such a long fuel line. I haven't had any problem with the motor in two years with this set up. ( On the other hand, that really isn't a lot of engine hours... about 10 gallons of fuel in two years.) I also have the engine starting battery under the starboard seat. It is an Optima AGM battery, mounted to an oversize piece of Starboard designed to use the channels in the floor to help keep it in place.  The battery is as far forward as I could get it.

My boat still lists somewhat to port.  I have Stan's trick power motor lift, so there is another 25+ pounds on the port side.
Project for this year is to mount my house batteries, on either side of the water tank, (Moving the water tank so it is over the Center Line of the boat).  That way the batteries, and tank will be neutral to the problem.
I keep the extra anchor, on the starboard side as well.

The Rubbermaid Rough Neck tubs that will slide under the seats are the 10 gallon models.  The idea of 150 lbs of Sand, especially if it is placed in the Rubbermaid tub, sounds like an easy temporary fix, Or, as already suggested, you could fill the tub with Ice and Beer, so that the ballast wasn't, well ballast.

With a 4 hp 2-Stroke, and a full Ice box, and fresh water tank, my boat used to list to the starboard.  :)

This really is only a "problem" at the dock.  Once I have crew aboard, it becomes a moot point.

Hope this helps a little.

Dan B
SV QOL (Quality Of Life)