[Rhodes22-list] motor mount failure

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Sun Apr 29 20:53:12 EDT 2007

JB,
I had my motor mount fail twice.  Once when backing out of
the launch, another time when motoring in the open lake.
After the
second time, I called up Stan and he explained the mount was undersized.
The PO had bought the boat new from Stan with a 6 hp motor, then upgraded
to a 9.9 without resizing the mount.
Anyway, Stan sent me a new one
of the correct size gratis, even though I didn't buy the boat from
him.
>From your picture, I'd say the white plastic and rusty fastners
indicate your mount is too old and needs to be completely
replaced.
Rick

> Went out sailing today, nice
calm day, 5-10 knots wind. We were out a few
> hours when we say
what looked to be a storm coming from a distance. We
> pulled in
all sails & started to motor for the marina. We were almost

there
> when the wind hit. White caps & large waves, a few
came over the bow, it
> was
> a very wet ride back. We
were motoring straight into the wind when all of

sudden the motor lurched sideways & turned us broadside to the wind.
We
> had
> the rail in the water with no sails out. I
looked back to see the motor
> had
> broken off the
mount & was now underwater. I did have my safety line

attatched so I still have my motor. Now we are in probably 25-30 knot
> winds
> with no motor. My wife was terrified. We were
lucky another boat saw we
> were
> in ey trouble &
came to our rescue. They threw us a line & towed us in,

dragging the motor underwater the whole way. I thought the first time we

> went out was pretty wild but that was intense. Real happy to
get back on
> land. I have some work to do on the motor for sure,
not too impressed with
> the motor raising system right now, has
anyone else lost a motor this way?

http://www.nabble.com/file/8131/failure.jpg