[Rhodes22-list] MAINSAIL HALYARD

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Fri Aug 10 16:34:00 EDT 2007

Diane,
OK, the photos can be viewed.  As far as the over-rigged backstay, it
doesn't appear you have a traveler bar.  Here are a couple of pictures of
how it set up on my '76, no guarantee it's correct.  The backstays are
tightened by using the line that runs between them (photo traveler upper).
The bungee cords in the photo are no longer there (replaced by a topping
lift) and the extra line that's hanging down here and been trimmed and
neatened up a bit.  Now how is your traveler arranged?  Mine attaches to the
wire that's attached to the rear chain plates as shown in the other photo
(traveler lower).  Your's look like the back stay adjuster and the traveler
attachment line are tied together and I don't see anything attached as a
traveler for the boom.  Do you have anything besides the topping lift that
keeps the boom from swinging? I'll let someone else address the how to rig
the mainsail furling line because I don't have IMF, but it doesn't look
quite right to me.

Rob Lowe
'76 Rhodes S/V Getaway