[Rhodes22-list] Attachment test - progressive JPEG (for Michael)

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Aug 12 11:48:06 EDT 2007

At 11:16 AM 8/12/2007 -0400, John Lock wrote:
>Art - that means your computer is packaging those images in a strange
>way.  I can recommend we try a few things, but I'll contact you
>off-list for that.  Thanks for the test images.  We're gradually
>narrowing down the issues.

Well Art, it's not just you ;-)  Further research indicates that
Microsoft (in its infinite wisdom) decided to tag ALL jpegs as
"image/pjpeg" starting with MSIE v6.0  So, unless something else
changes it, you have no control over how jpegs are packaged within e-mail.

Unfortunately, MS applications tend to be promiscuous like
this.  I.E. changing the MIME type in your browser also changes it in
your e-mailer <sheesh!>.

So...  this particular issue is going to fall back on Michael - the
list software should handle MIME type "image/pjepg" the same as
"image/jpeg", rather than treating is as an unknown binary attachment.

Until that gets fixed, we will have to live with renaming these
attachments as ".jpg" to view them.

P.S.  If you're technically adept, you could add a new file type for
".bin" in Windows and have it open in whatever you would view regular
JPEGs with.  However, I don't recommend this because ".bin" could be
just about anything and you may get into other problems viewing .bin
files from other sources that are not really JPEGs.

Cheers!

John Lock