[Rhodes22-list] Finally in the Water

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Aug 20 11:57:59 EDT 2007

Since we used to trailer the R22 all the time, we learned how to launch and
recover in most weather, rig with only two (no mast crane), and "play" with
all of the rigging as we learned.  We were also close to the factory when
they were still in LI, a definite plus when learning how to properly rig the
R22.

One of the things that we learned from another Rhodie way back when we were
looking for a swim ladder was about a removable gunwale mounted ladder.  We
had a great deal of difficulty boarding from the stern, through the back
stays, the traveller around the tiller, etc.  Our ladder has a special order
"sailboat mount" which is nothing more than an additional support (tubing)
that presses against the side of the boat to keep the ladder vertical.  No
squashed toes and clear entry to the R22 at the side of the cockpit.  The
only problem is that the first person up the ladder causes significant roll
(heel) of the boat at anchor.  Once I'm on board, I simply stand opposite
the ladder as ballast while others climb up and board.  Ladder stores on
v-berth or hangs on the stern rail to dry.

We never stop learning...

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY