[Rhodes22-list] Buying a Rhodes

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Aug 22 09:10:03 EDT 2007

Dan,
After nine years we are still using a handheld GPS and even though
it's now outdated technology it's more than enough for our needs.

We started out with a handheld radio and it was usually enough for
communicating with another boat as we were usually communicating with
someone with a masthead antenna. Where it seemed lacking was
communicating with marinas where we were often communicating with
someone on a dock with a handheld. Another reason to consider going
with a factory installation of the radio is that installing the
connector on the front of the mast step was a pain in the neck. It
took us quite a while to find a connector and then we had leak where
we installed it. Obviously running the coax in the mast is something
you have to do with the mast down. We've been very pleased with the
masthead antenna and the fixed mount radio. We put a small speaker in
the cockpit so we can hear calls. We didn't go with a remote mike but
that might be useful as well particularly if you do a lot of single
handing. We still have the handheld and use it on occasion.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD