[Rhodes22-list] Buying a Rhodes - portable GPS

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed Aug 22 10:34:54 EDT 2007

At 07:36 AM 8/22/2007 -0400, Dan Johnson wrote:

>My current thinking is to not install hard-wired radios and GPS, etc. but to
>use portable devices.  Any thoughts on these issues?

I get the best of both worlds with my handheld Magellan GPS.  They
sell a mounting bracket and 12-volt power cord that snaps into the
mount.  I placed the mount on the starboard bulkhead next to my depth
finder and plugged the power cord into a 12v distribution box inside
the cabin.  When sailing, I simply snap the handheld GPS into the
mount and it's just like a hardwired unit (gets its power from the
boat battery).  At the dock, I unsnap the GPS and store it inside the
cabin (or take it on the road, hiking, or whatever).

I suspect other manufacturers make similar mounts and power cords for
their handhelds.  Radios may have the same available, but I haven't
researched that.

Photos available on request.

Cheers!

John Lock