[Rhodes22-list] Buying a Rhodes

michael meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Wed Aug 22 21:12:34 EDT 2007

Handheld gps is fine, but also get the chartbook for your area and a
bulkhead compass.

As to the vhf IMHO, get the masthead antenna and fixed mount vhf.
Their 3 issues,
	1) first off the mast head has greater range being 30 feet up vs 4
feet for the handheld
	2)the 3 foot whip antenna is much better than the "rubber ducks"
	--- these 2 can be life and death, with the GC 500+ foot antenna,
VHF range 30-40+ miles rage to them, the problem is the handles never get
near that range even thought the math say they might.
	3)your 2 group 27 batties are much larger the any portable and
rechargeable while underway, you will use it for weather alert and leave it
on. The handhelds I find are generally off to save their battery.

That said, I also have a handheld that runs off of"AA"'s, keep it at the
helm with the gps when night sailing, also have an adaptor to mate it with
the masthead.

-mjm