[Rhodes22-list] Standard main rigging/ roller furling boom

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Aug 23 00:14:00 EDT 2007

Alan,

We have always liked having the poptop in the up position since standing
room in the cabin/galley was one of the main attractions way back in 1980
when we looked at the Rhodes 22.  It is common for crew and mate to stand in
cabin while under sail - handy for retrieving gear or beverages  as well.
If your boom hits the poptop while sailing then several items may need to be
checked.  Most importantly you need to haul the sail up fully (head into the
wind and slack main sheet, first) which will tend to lift the boom slightly.
Second, you may need to place a fastpin in the mast (there should be a pair
of holes already there) to keep the boom from sliding down, causing the boom
to "lay" on the poptop.  Lastly, make sure that the poptop slide is properly
engaged in the upper position stop.  I also use a fastpin through the mast
below the poptop slider to secure the poptop so that the front does not fall
during rough seas.

As far as the LI geography, the Nissequogue River empties into the LI Sound
at Kings Park (north shore),  not the Great South Bay (south shore.)

Yes, there's quite a story to the name mostly about how we crewed the first
years (trailering), best told at sea, over a beer.

Do you ever get down to the island?  Let me know when you are in town.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Alan Robertson" <bigal_61 at msn.com> Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:05