[Rhodes22-list] Remote Controls for the Tohatsu

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 1 21:03:04 EST 2007

Ron,
I have had a chance to see the Remote Kit for the Tohatsu 8, a Tohatsu 8 with the remote installed at the factory, and the rather scant diagram of how the remote fits together.  After swapping some thoughts with the dealer, who has experience installing the kit, aftermarket, I am shelving any plans on my own boat for now.  He estimates his billing for a complete installation, control box, cables, and the adaptor at between $750 and $1,000, depending on any difficulties with the boat.  He thinks 4 hours of labor at best.
I don't think the cable can make the necessary bends around the lift assembly without the risk of significant binding and stiffness.  If the cables are routed directly into the transom, possible on mine, there remains the issue of the cable bending when the motor is lifted out of the water.  I am going to focus on the steering rod for now and use the motor mounted shift and throttle for the time being.
If it becomes feasible to use the kit afterall, I'm thinking the best location for the control box (lever assembly) would be perpendicular and attached to the front of the laz wall, under the tiller handle.  I'd suggest getting a picture of the transom at the mount area from Stan - maybe he will suggest another alternative for your boat.
Your ideas welcome.  What progress on your final setup?
Chow,
Art