[Rhodes22-list] Jay Bulfer, Captain Rummy asked, " What largertrailerable?"

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 08:33:49 EST 2007

Ed, Just as an FYI.....when water ballast is used correctly it is safe. The
Mac26 rollover you like to reference is a perfect example. The boat had no
water ballast and was over loaded. This was "user error". A rookie skipper
not reefing in heavy winds causes capsize......are sails unsafe? Are you
going to blame the sails or the skipper?

Water ballast has been safely used by the US Navy, commercial, and pleasure
boats a long time. Sailboats have used water ballast for hundreds of years.
Did you read about the 15 year old who just sailed a water ballast sail boat
acoss the Atlantic?  It is also a trailer sailor? Check out some of the sail
boats made in Europe and down under.....these folks seem to have many more
options than we do here in the states. Many are water ballast.

Now don't get me wrong....I do like the R22 design and use of ballast but I
am always amused by folks trying to make it seem like a Mac 26 is a ticking
time bomb. Now if you would have said the new Mac 26 is ugly and doesn't
sail well I would agree!

For my use I would not want a R22 as 100% trailer sailor. Although the R22
is easier than most to launch and retireve I would not want to mess with
every time. That is why I slip my boat. I admit I am lazy but I do love to
sail!

Wally