[Rhodes22-list] IMF

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 14:15:00 EST 2007

The bearing surfaces appear (to me) to be some sort of hard self-lubricated
plastic (like Delrin maybe?) on the aluminum furling tube.  They are visible
from the mast slot looking into where the mast furling  line goes onto the
aluminum tube.  There is a photo  on the owners' web site that shows the
gooseneck and this area, at least a little.

When the sail is furled, all or most of the furling line is out, so the area
is pretty wide open and visible.  While on my mooring, with the mast up and
ready to go, I just jammed some paper towels into the slot to contain drips,
and sprayed WD-40 liberally onto the bearing surfaces.  I then alternately
pulled the sail out a bit with my hand and pulled the furling line to bring
it back in, all just to rotate the bearing and clean out the dirt and/or
salt that was gumming it up. It took maybe ten or fifteen minutes.

I will consider sliding the whole assembly out during spring cleaning to
check it all out and wash with lots of water.  This only to avoid having to
delay sailing for ten minutes during the season.

I seem to recall that some have spoken of a problem with a screw coming
loose and causing the furling tube to stick, but this may have been an older
design.  I have not had this problem.

The only other problem with the system was during initial delivery.  The
furling line had too few wraps on the drum, so the sail wouldn't furl all
the way in, (perhaps because I had one of the first few battened mains for
delivery that season).  We didn't find out of course until the mast was up
at the ramp, but Elton figured out how to add wraps to the drum without
dropping the mast.   Just another reason to pay for professional delivery,
IMO.

Also, I had boom roller furling main on my previous boat, an ODay Mariner
19.  It was not all that easy to use, especially as the Mariner had mid-boom
mainsheet and needed a claw to grab the boom around the reefed main.  Sail
shape was not good reefed, and you couldn't furl the sail that way, because
it would be too bulky to fit the claw over it on the boom.  Nice idea,
maybe, in the 1960's.

Jim Connolly