[Rhodes22-list] IMF

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 15:18:13 EST 2007

My, my, my... Aren't we a chatty bunch today?  Ninety-some emails!

Art brought up an important point about operating the IMF on a port tack.  I
do this too but only slightly off the wind for best results.  I let the main
sheet go so the sail is luffing and then it's a cinch to roll it up.

Here's where I could use some help:  If the wind picks up and I decide to
shorten sail, I usually discover that I'm overpowered when on a close reach.
That's when you get heeled over too much.  That's when the wind has picked
up and there's a lot of force on the sail.  I've found it to be quite
difficult to reef in the mail on this point of sail even if it is a port
tack and absolutely impossible on a starboard tack.

So what maneuvers or what point of sail would be best to make this easier?
Must I luff up?  I don't like doing that because it's so chaotic and
sometimes I get blown over to the other tack anyway and the problem gets
worse.  But if there's any wind in the sail at all then it's much harder to
flatten out the sail because the lines are so stressed.  At least I've
finally learned to cleat off my control lines on the cleats nearer the mast
and not the ones at the end of the boom where I can't always reach them.  I
think I've answered my own question.  You gotta luff up.  But has anyone
discovered a better procedure?

Reefing in the jib under these conditions is easier.  I usually wait until I
tack and then keep the jib sheet on the now-windward side sort of like a
heave to, backwinding the main.  Then I can ease the sheet out and take the
reefing line while the jib is still full of air.