[Rhodes22-list] Campaigning a 175

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Feb 18 12:15:02 EST 2007

Wally,

I once served on a PHRF rating committee, even though I have no interest
in sailing per se.

Our job was to try to keep the races fair.  Ideally, under PHRF, every
sailor can win the race on any day.  The handicap is supposed to make it
possible for there to be an absolute tie, by handicapping both the
equipment on board, and the ability of the sailor.

I left the committee because the sailors cheat.  They do poorly in
unimportant races, and then come out of nowhere to win the big ones.
They switch equipment on board to change their boat's characteristics in
ways that can't be detected.  (Blowing out water ballast during a light
wind race is an easy example, hard to prove, except that only one boat
is moving so you know what is happening.)

Again, I reference our newbies.  I see many people getting 155s because
others on the list say they are "faster" (Roger used to say that all the
time).

As a cruising boat the 175 is the best sail.  In some circumstances, the
155 is a better choice.  (Jay never has light wind--a 155 is a much
better sail for him.)

Around here, we chuckle about people who spend all their time sailing in
triangles.  There is much to be learned in a short period of time from
racing around buoys, but it all seems to quickly degenerate into winning
at all costs with little more learned in the actual sailing department.
Many of the winners turn out to be better cheats than they are sailors.

I have a hunch that a properly made 175 on an R-22 is more than 9
seconds faster than a 155 under certain conditions, and that if you can
spot those conditions you are more likely to win buoy races with a 175
and a 9 second penalty than you will with a 155 and no penalty.

If I can find someone to test this theory for me, I think Stan can make
a better 175 for all of us.

Until then, I want most newbies who are in the process of configuring
their boats to understand that except for racing (maybe) and certain
bodies of water, the 175 is the sail designed for the boat.

Bill Effros