[Rhodes22-list] Hunting

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Feb 19 15:55:48 EST 2007

Some answers to the "Hunting" problem:

There are at least three ways to reduce or eliminate hunting:

*  Use a riding sail.

http://www.bannerbaymarine.com/
http://www.sailrite.com/Tips/riggingthesail.htm

*  On a single hook, first set the hook as usual, then tie a
second line to the rode 10 to 20 feet out in front of the bow.
You may have to temporarily haul in some rode to reach that
point.  Depending on the type of rode, you can either use a
rolling hitch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_hitch

or for a stronger union, the butterfly knot

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/butterflyknot.htm

Note that both of these will weaken the rode somewhat, as
will any knot.

Lead the extra line back to a midships cleat and make it fast.
Adjust it so that the boat is at a slight angle to the wind
or tide, so that it will sail out to one side and stay there.

*  As you suggest, set a second hook.  Upside is that you
have some redundancy.  The downside is that if wind or tide
shifts, you may foul one anchor with the other -- if they
are not sufficiently far apart, as is the case with a
bahamian mooring.

http://www.pelicanpower.com/abacoguide/bahamianmoor.htm

You will undoutedly find more authoritative answers in Chapman's
or Annapolis Sailing School books.

/Robert

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:

> Pete,
> Just wondering if you have any chain between the anchor and the rode? Glad
> you are getting some use out of her. Have you picked a name yet?
> Scratches add character. They are also easily fixed. Isn't boating  fun?
> What you call fishtailing is what we call hunting. The R22 because of the
> hull shape is prone to this. The use of two anchors can reduce this phenom, but
> I doubt that you can eliminate it. It's just the nature of the hull.
>
> Rummy

Robert Skinner               "Squirrel Haven"
9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, Maine   04038-1331
Home/Messages 207-839-8777, Cell 207-653-1752