[Rhodes22-list] To Ron Lipton

Bob Fletcher tfl4625 at blackfoot.net
Mon Jan 22 01:01:23 EST 2007

Ron and Jerry,

I have a boat on order from Stan for spring pickup.  I'm thinking about
Tohatsu/Nissan but still debating with myself over motor choice - 6 hp for
lighter weight and less cost or 9.8 for "reserve" power for wind, chop.

Until I read your post I hadn't considered speed at idle.  I'd just as soon
approach any "fixed objects" slowly.  So... a couple of questions:

1)  Has you found the 6 hp power adequate? For what kind of water? (Earlier
posts here suggest 6 hp for inland lakes, 8 hp for larger lakes, 9.8 for
coastal use.)

2)  Any thoughts about whether the larger motor would necessarily have
higher idling speed?

3) Noise ...  I foresee a fair amount of motoring to explore area lakes,
with or without wind.
Any thoughts about which is quieter at moderate speed - smaller 6 hp running
faster or larger 9.8 running slower?

4) Do you have the 20" or 25" shaft?  If the 25", does the prop clear the
water when the motor is raised?  If so, it would seem to be an advantage to
have more shaft in the water in rough conditions.

Thaks for any input.

Bob Fletcher