[Rhodes22-list] Watermusic sings!

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 27 08:41:14 EST 2007

Joseph,

Hopefully you will not expect the R22 and the Irwin 37 to behave the same
......very different boats. If any one knows how fast things can change it
is Rummy.....this is true on many sailboats.

Elle, I am sure you can get things figured out. The best way to sail a
Rhodes flat in heavy winds is to add ballast to windward rail. Usually this
is crew....when solo on windy or gusty day you need to be paying extra
attention to furling early. You should also be able to steer wheel from
windward side. Folks do this all the time with a wheel. Sight lines are not
always perfect for lots of sailers. I sail solo 90% of the time. I often
sail from leeward side in light winds. This creates a little heel and
provides best view forward. You also get best view of luff on genny for sail
trimming. It will be hard to see jib tell tales (if you use them) from
center seat. I would consider some tell tales on shrouds....when racing I
add some cassette tape for tell tales.

...of yeah you got me on the boat length lettering. ;-)

Wally