[Rhodes22-list] Energy and Technology

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Jul 16 10:51:35 EDT 2007

Here in Maine, the paper companies are talking
about using the non-fiberous part of the wood
pulp as a liquor to ferment for alcohol.

This material is currently wasted, and polutes,
ultimately degrading to CO2 or worse (methane).
Converting it to alcohol solves two problems.

Oil footprint is yet to be published, but
should be on the same order as switch grass --
or less.

Watch for this - and hope it works.

/Robert
Brad Haslett wrote:

> This will be a significant breakthrough if it can be made competitive.  The
> Oak Ridge lab in Wally's neighborhood has been working on this technology
> for some time.  Unlike "liquid pork"(corn base ethanol) this has real
> promise.  You can plant marginal land now under the CRP program and plant it
> in switch grass. Permaculture, now we're talking baby!
>
> http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/798/
>
> I'm still operating off my neighbors bandwidth.  Hopefully the problem is
> limited to the Ethernet switch that is fried.  I'm not sure what risks I'm
> taking by not securing my wireless but I'm damn glad someone in my block
> doesn't secure theirs.  Sharing, what a wonderful concept!
>
> Brad

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."