[Rhodes22-list] Topping lift and whisker pole

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 18 09:56:44 EDT 2007

Rory,
I have the same Forespar, which is heavier than most. I originally
used it without a topping lift, but in light winds it dragged, heavy
winds it tended to pump. The mast has 2 sheaves for two lines which
for me include the topping lift for the boom, and a halyard for the
UPS. For the whisker pole, first I tried a "dead-headed" topping lift
for the boom to free up the line for the pole. This was a section of
1/8" shroud/cable riveted at the top and a block and line attached to
the end of the boom and cleated off to the boom as needed. This for
me was cumbersome and I added a cheek block at the top of the mast
for a third line to cleat at the mast, which has worked like a champ
since.

I have a question for pole-users on storage-How many store them
against the mast for easy deployment? My original concern was excess
weight aloft, but Rob Baldi uses it and I know I would use it more
often. I just need a rubber clamp high up to hold it for next season.

Jay