[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Wally's rant!

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jun 28 10:20:47 EDT 2007

Wally, et al.,

While I can occasionally enjoy exchanges of insults,
commentary, etc. with Ed, it is largely because I
recognize "ritual mounting" behavior when I see it.

When a dominant member member of a group wishes to
emphasize his dominance, he will indulge in mounting
behavior, similar to that which occurs during sexual
intercourse, with other less dominant males.

As the once-dominant male becomes long in the tooth,
losing his ability to hunt or attract mates, he
exhibits this mounting behavior more often in a vain
attempt to assert his former role of prominence.

As this behavior is instinctive, not requiring
mentation, it continues even when cognitive capacity
is significantly diminished.

What small amount of self-awareness persists as
faculties diminish leads to irrational and
anti-social behavior such as monomaniacal rants,
intransigence, insistence that nothing new is
happening, and often vitriolic attacks on family
and friends.

We who are still in possession of our faculties
should view such aberrations with amused
tolerance, as an alternative to execution or
ostracism.

Mostly, we just need to remind him to take his meds...

/Robert