[Rhodes22-list] Humor

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 06:29:21 EDT 2007

NCAA Renames March Madness ‘March Bipolar Disorder’

Under Pressure from National Institute of Mental Health

The National  Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) stunned the sports world
today by  announcing that its annual college basketball tournament, known to
its fans as  March Madness, will henceforth be known as March Bipolar
Disorder.

The  name-change, which both surprised and outraged devotees of the annual
ritual,  came after the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) demanded that
the NCAA  drop the “Madness” tag.

While fans across the country argued that “March  Bipolar Disorder” did not
have the same ring to it, a spokesperson for the NIMH  said today that the new
name was “more clinically accurate.”

“Each year,  the tournament produces extreme mood swings in both its players
and its fans,”  said spokesperson Carol Foyler. “In our view, those symptoms
are consistent with  bipolar disorder.”

Even as tournament purists complained that the NCAA  had caved in to the
medical community, sports marketing expert Colby Teague said  that the name-change
could open the door to new sponsorship opportunities from  the manufacturers
of bipolar disorder medications, such as Eli Lilly.

“I  could see a scenario where next year it’s called the Zyprexa™ March
Bipolar  Disorder,” he said.

Among bipolar college basketball fans like Devon  Trailor of Chapel Hill, NC,
reaction to the controversial name-change was mixed:  “I was very excited
about the new name yesterday, but today I’m not.”