[Rhodes22-list] Bruce's Rotten Bottom continued ...

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Fri May 18 20:57:14 EDT 2007

Bruce,

This thread may be OBE, if so, I'd like to know how you finally got the
table mounting plate out of your cockpit floor.  I'm on travel, and have  been on
travel for most of the past 2 weeks, so I'm responding out of pocket as  I
catch up on Email, I'll probably get to check my mail  again mid next  week.

I 've considered taking that plate up, resealing it, and reattaching  it.
Like you I found the nuts came out pretty easily, but that I  couldn't  separate
the plate from the floor.  Rummy and Ed's  comments are of interest.
However, I also think there are at least 2 types  of floor mounting plates floating
around and your, and my, problems my be the  result of our possibly having
different types of mounting plates than Rummy and  Ed.

I recall looking at a picture of the flange in Rummy's boat - as I recall
it's on the web.  As I recall he had a round flange with bolts attaching it  to
the floor (probably has some adhesive to).  I don't know what the  interior of
his table mounting hole looks like.  My, and possibly  your,  table mounting
assembly is different.  I've got a rectangular  flange, not a circular flange,
with, as I recall, 8 bolt holes drilled through  it.  My sense is that those
bolts are engaging something on the other side  of the cockpit floor, which
makes me suspect there is a nut plate on the other  side of the floor.  Also,
the interior of the hole has what appears to be a  threaded post sticking up.
It's occurred to me that threaded post may be  from the nut plate, and the nut
plate below screws to the flange on the top of  the cockpit, then the nuts  go
in once the whole thing is screwed  together.  I could be wrong about all of
the above, it's just speculation  driven by my observation that, like you, I
can't lift that flange on the cockpit  floor after I've removed the bolts.  If
I'm right, getting the table flange  up from the cockpit floor will entail
unscrewing it from the nut plate that's  mounted on the bottom of the cockpit
floor - in addition to taking the bolts out  and removing the adhesive.

I'm not sure what your flange looks like, a picture might help the
discussion.  If this thread is still alive next week, and you're  interested, I'll post
a picture of my flange assembly when I get home.  I  think I have a picture
of it, and I think I'm remembering correctly.

Unless someone on the list has successfully taken the flange out, we may
have to ask Stan for some info as to how  it was put together. and how to  take
it apart.

Again, if you've figured out how to get the flange out in the interim, I'd
like to know how you did it.

Dave