[Rhodes22-list] Barrier Coat, Reply to Hank

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri May 25 13:25:34 EDT 2007

Hank,

It will help you if separate your question into parts.

Gel Coat was devised and originally thought to be water proofing for
fiberglass (FRP).  We now know that Gel Coat is not impervious to water
penetration just adds a degree of repellency.

Barrier coats add additional layers of water repellency.  Most barrier coats
are of epoxy.  There may be an epoxy coating specifically to add a barrier
and then a coating of epoxy primer or just layers of epoxy primers to be
called a barrier coat.

One gallon of epoxy of either type will coat a Rhodes 22, centerboard and
rudder at least twice if applied by roller.  Some prefer the single thicker
coat applied by brush.  I suggest multiple thin coats to ensure that all the
surface gets at least one coat.  Also a roller coating can be accomplished
in less than one hour.

If you do it yourself, I question the $400 estimate, but it might total
that.  I guess if you buy the top dollar product from the top dollar seller
that may be correct.  However, good products can be obtained from smaller
suppliers.

For a thin epoxy coating to add water penetration resistance look at thin
epoxy available from this source.  Using this web site is a challenge, but
their products work well.  Look for ESP 155 as a sealing coating prior to
priming:

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/1_marineresins.html

A good source of priming epoxy is:

http://www.bluewatermarinepaint.com/

And an interesting source of bottom paint is:

http://supershipbottom.com/

Thoughts for your consideration.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum (This will get thru your filters):
http://www.nabble.com/file/p10807145/gas%2B5.bmp gas+5.bmp