[Rhodes22-list] Barrier Coat

Louis S Rosenberg lsr3 at nyu.edu
Mon May 28 20:58:57 EDT 2007

Hank
As a newbie who had done barrier coat to my project boat including a few blisters, here's my take:
I would first assess the hull for any really bad sections.  If you do not see blistering of any kind then you could easily just use the correct bottom paint for your use.  Since I am in NYC and going to be in brackish water most of the time in a secluded part of Bklyn,  I went with  Trinidad SR.   I wanted a hard finish with a high copper content.  I will not use that again due to cost and many other factors, mainly environmental.

I have one large blister which was caused by water seeping down into the aft part of my keel from the cracked table base. I neglected to see how bad it was until earlier this year.   In 2005, after sanding the blister down carefully and applying two layers of epoxy one with barrier coating, painted it and hoped it was all done.  I soon found out that water was leaching down there and causing another blister to form in the same spot.  I purged the blister and let it dry out, fixed the table base , thanks to STAN!! and
now its finally dry again and ready for the barrier coat again.

I also barrier coated my cb and rudder after overhaul.  Check the owners site for the pdf that Roger Pihlaja and I posted about overhauling a bad cb trunk, rudder and the mechanical advantage.

I am painting my entire deck with a two part epoxy sealant from Dr Rot and then painting it with their Aliphatic255 polyurthane paint.  I am putting the link to their site below for your information.

I have been using WEST system for all of my epoxy work so far and theirs is petroleum based  whereas Dr Rot is supposedly another base which is softer and more flexible when dry.  I have not used the DR ROT formula as yet just to be clear.
 stay tuned

http://www.rotdoctor.com

good luck with your boat
Lou