[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Rodes

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Nov 17 10:31:12 EST 2007

Dan,

I have very little experience anchoring so if someone disagrees with me, I'd
listen to them.  Lots of varying opinions from true experts--I'd get a book
or read an article or Google anchoring.  It will tell you how much rope rode
(typically seven feet of rode to one foot of depth) and chain rode (I think
based on length/weight of boat and anchor size) that you'll need.

I use Stan's Danforth anchor, which is probably a little bigger and heavier
than necessary.  I also have 200' of rope rode, which is also overkill.  Too
much is better than too little, but excess anchor and chain rode is heavy
and more of a hassle to use, and excess rope rode is just that much more to
handle, store and untangle.  I doubt that you'll ever really need more than
100' in the Chesapeake and surrounding bays.

The Chesapeake is extremely shallow in most areas.  Chances are good that
you'll anchor in less than ten feet of water for an overnighter.  If I'm in
deep water and don't want to sit and drift without anchor, I normally "heave
to," which is something good to practice anyway.

Of all the incredible features of the Rhodes, the one I find least useful is
the rode storage above the v-berth.  I keep my backup rope and chain rode
stored there for emergencies, disconnected from my backup anchor attached to
the bow pulpit.  I keep my primary rode and anchor in the stern lazerette,
and walk it forward when anchoring.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease