[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Rodes

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Nov 17 12:08:58 EST 2007

Hi Dan,
I'll chime in here.

First I would figure out where you are going to store your anchor(s)
(if you are cruising you need more than one) and how you are going to
deploy them. Most of the Chesapeake is thick mud so most any anchor
will hold if you can get it to set. There are a few bottoms that are
sand - I'm not sure that we've actually ever anchored in one of
those. There are a fair number of places where the bottom is very
weedy and others that are very soft mud and it's more difficult to
get an anchor to set in those. As far as depth, most of our anchoring
has been done in 5 to 12 feet of water but a few years ago we
anchored in Shaw Bay on the Wye River in 23 ft. of water.

The Rhodes does not have the best anchor storage options. As usually
set up from General Boats, it has a Danforth-type anchor on the bow
with the rode leading through the dorade vent into a storage bin
above the v-berth. Other options are in a bin in the cockpit (anchor
and rode), in a bin or bag in the lazarette  or on the stern rail.
Your choices will limit the size and type of the anchor and to a
certain extent the weight.

The bow option isn't bad, the boat doesn't mind the weight up front
and if I were anchoring in clear seawater and sand or rock, I might
consider it. Because the Chesapeake is so muddy, we didn't want to
put our primary (wet muddy) rode right over the v-berth. We sleep in
the main cabin and use the v-berth for storage, but still....

We've never used the bin in the cockpit method because we have lots
of other things stored in that space.

We put our primary anchor and rode in a mesh bag (available from West
as a "rode bag"). The bitter end of the rode comes through a grommet
in the bottom of the bag so you can quickly fasten it to a cleat and
if you have flaked your rode neatly into the bag deploy the anchor
quickly. There are always 2 of us so we have never had to deploy it
from the cockpit and then walk the rode forward but it should be
doable. Under normal anchoring conditions. I walk the bag with the
anchor and rode forward, fasten the bitter end to the cleat and then
deploy the anchor. Once I have let out enough scope I tie the rode
off to the cleat over the initial hitch. Retrieving the anchor works
in reverse. I go forward, undo the top hitch, flake the rode into the
bag as I retrieve it, pull the anchor, wash it by dunking or by
splashing with a small bucket and then stow the anchor in the bag.
When it's all stowed, I uncleat the bitter end and walk the bag back
to the cockpit. We often let it dry in the cockpit before we stow it
back in the lazarette.

We had a Danforth (a real Danforth) from our previous boat that I
liked a lot. It was a storm anchor for the 16 but only a little
undersized for the Rhodes. I liked it better than the anchor that
came with the boat so we used that for a number of years with 6 or 8
feet of chain. After a couple of nights in stormy weather we added 12
feet more chain and gained piece of mind but it was now uncomfortably
heavy for me to carry forward. Two years ago we got a good deal at
the boatshow on a Fortress. The literature that came with it
suggested 6 feet of chain so we went back to the shorter length (I
think it's 8 ft.)

There is an art to setting a Danforth and even more so the Fortress.
I try to lower the anchor with the flukes pointing aft. Once it is on
the bottom we let the boat drift back, paying out rode until there is
a scope of about 3 to 1 (measured from the bottom to the height of
the cleat by the way). At that point we power back making sure that
the anchor bites into the mud and holds fast. I then let out the rest
of the scope - usually 7 to 1. We were somewhat skeptical about the
Fortress as they do have their detractors. I've found it a bit more
tricky to set than the Danforth but once it's set it seems to hold
well. It's biggest test so far was this past summer when we anchored
into a north wind in an anchorage that was wide open to the south. An
hour or two after we anchored the wind shifted, came up strongly from
the south and built up 1-2 foot waves in the anchorage. As it was
dark and we were in completely unfamiliar territory we didn't want to
move unless things became really dicey. We had the motor ready to
take up the strain if we started dragging, we put the cabintop and
bimini down to reduce windage and let out scope until we were at
10:1. We stayed up on anchor watch until things quieted down around
midnight. The anchor held well and had a lot of mud on it in the morning.

We also got it to hold in a very dicey situation when our motor quit
just after we had come through the Kent Narrows drawbridge. We were
maybe a quarter mile beyond the bridge and in a very string current
that was sweeping us back toward the bridge. Our attempts at sailing
weren't helping so we went to the anchor. It held after about three
tries in a very strong current and an iffy holding ground. Fred got
the motor started and we got out of there. I was very pleased.

My advice is to read up on anchoring (West has a good brief
description at
(http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/AnchoringTechniques.htm)
and the various types of anchors.

Our primary anchor is the Fortress FX-11 with 6 or 8 ft of chain and
200 ft of rode. Most advice tells you to take the manufactures advice
and go up one size. We did that in sizing the Fortress. Our secondary
anchor right now is the old Danforth with the extra chain. It's heavy
and stored in the v-berth but available if we need a second anchor
for something.

Hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer any questions. I don't really
have any familiarity with claw or spade type anchors.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall. MD