[Rhodes22-list] repowering Fretless

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Oct 1 18:17:03 EDT 2007

Thought I would report that we managed to rassle the new Yamaha T8
from the outboard cart onto the foredeck. Then Fred, with the help of
a very fine gentleman from Holland, muscled it over the cabintop,
into the cockpit and over the stern rail onto the motor mount. I
think that Fred and I could have done it but not as quickly. It was
wonderful to have the help of someone with a bit more muscle and
longer arms and legs.  His Island Packet just happened to be in the
slip across from ours while he's getting some work done.

Burt, the motor mount is backed with plywood and has 6 or 8 bolts
holding it to the transom. The Yamaha runs very well but it does seem
to have a bit more vibration than the Honda so we'll keep and eye on it.

The folks at Boathouse/Boater's World, the Yamaha dealer on Kent
Island, were able to reuse our Honda cockpit controls with the
addition of a new shift lever on the motor side so that saved us a
bit of money. Everything seems to work well and we (Fred in
particular) is really going to enjoy having the electric start. We
didn't get a chance to take her out for a spin but we did run it in
FN&R in the slip and it certainly seems like it will push us along quite well.

Hope to get a bit more sailing in before the season ends.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD