[Rhodes22-list] repowering Fretless

Bob-Leslie Fletcher tfl4625 at blackfoot.net
Thu Oct 4 16:43:25 EDT 2007

Lou,

I have a 9.9 four stroke Tohatsu with Tohatsu remote controls.  A little
larger than yours but I suspect the control configuration is the same.

I first did a "trial" mounting by hose clamping a board on the port gunwale
between the stern rail and the aft cleat, then side mounting the control on
the board.

Pros:  Very intuitive, not in the way of seats.

Cons:  A really clean installation would require building and bolting
through the gunwale a metal mounting bracket, and then drilling another hole
in gunwale to route cables.  Also, can only use from port side of boat; it
looks a little "motorboatish" for my taste and mounting position is really
critical to avoid interference with captain's chair.

I decided against holes in the boat so instead mounted the control on the
front of the lazaretto, with a spacing block that also adds rigidity.
Cables run to port seat then into transom through space already there, then
through gasoline boot in the transom to the motor.

Pros:  Very clean and unobtrusive; easily reachable from port or starboard
seat; can even be "fine tuned" with foot from captain's chairs; There is
plenty of room for some "slack" in the cables where they run under the port
seat and that accommodates changes in the "effective" cable length when I
raise the motor or turn it side to side.

Cons:  Not quite as intuitive as a gunwale mount

With either of the above systems the first cable bend out of the motor is
very tight.  When I switched to the transom mount I needed a different cable
length and went with the "premium" version.  I think that's probably
necessary.  For some reason those cables were much more affordable from
Defender than other sources.

ALTERNATIVES:
Tiller Tamer  - Has been mentioned here before.  You'll easily find the web
site.  It's an after market tiller mounted control.  I first dismissed it
because of interference with Stan's standard top mounted tiller extension
but later realized you could remount the tiller extension on the bottom of
the tiller.  (That would require a stronger retaining clamp but the original
will break soon anyway and a standard garden tool spring clamp hanger seems
to work well as a replacement.)

Mercury "lightweight" motor - I chose the Tohatsu because of the 20+ pound
weight savings over Yamaha and Honda and factory remote control.  I later
learned, however, that Mercury markets a Mercury branded Tohatsu with one
significant difference... the Merc. has that company's (proprietary?) tiller
handle with built in reverse/forward and throttle controls.  The advantage
is that you could fairly conveniently control forward/reverse, throttle and
direction from a single 'location" without a remote set-up.

I have found times when I would have been much better off being able to
"steer" with the motor and not the rudder.  With a "turnable" motor you
don't need headway to steer as with a fixed motor position and tiller.

If I had known about the Mercury earlier I might have skipped the remote
control for simplicity and cost savings.  As it is, one of my winter
projects is to fabricate a foldable "arm" going from the motor up over the
transom so I can steer using the motor with the rudder up.

While I'm on the Tohatsu... one quirk I noticed is that although it is
theoretically manually startable with a recoil starter, there is no
"external" choke.  The choke is activated by a solenoid controlled from the
ignition switch, so if the battery or solenoid dies, you can't start
manually without removing the cover and holding the choke lever open.
However....  I think I can run a cable from the choke control lever through
the front of the motor by the starter handle with so you could easily start
manually. Another winter project...

I'll be curious what you decide

Bob Fletcher