[Rhodes22-list] sounder senders

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 11:27:09 EDT 2007

Joe, I got the Garmin 455 on sale for just over $1000, another $90 or
so for an in-hull transducer (shoots through the hull without having
to drill) mounted in the lazarette.  It's preloaded with charts for
North America.  Rigged it with rail-attached mounts.  All from West
Marine on one of their 10% off online sale days.

Dave

On 10/11/07, Joe Babb <joe.babb at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am trying to decide about a plotter/sounder for our future recycled
> Rhodes 22.  I have been thinking of something like the Garmin 468 (now
> discontinued but still on the shelves) that got a good review in
> Practical Sailor a few months ago.  So I'm trying to find something good
> for under $1000. that can show depth and has built in charts.
> One question for you all is what kind of transducer is best and where
> located?  Garmin offers transom mounted skimmers and through hull
> things.  I'm not all that sure that a skimmer would work well on the
> Rhodes, but I'm not keen on putting holes in the hull either.  The other
> question is about mounting in the cockpit.  These "fishfinder"
> plotter/sounders tend to mount on a bracket of some sort and I can't
> envision how that will work on a sailboat in a good location for viewing.
> Thoughts?  Ideas?
> Best,
> Joe

David Bradley