[Rhodes22-list] Sail Plan Changes

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:01:03 EDT 2007

Hank,

You're first!  That's not very creative and you are just repeating what
everyone who knows me says.

Lee - The S2 line of sailboats have a lot in common with the R-22.  Leon
Slicker started out with powerboats, sold out to AMF (the same people that
ran Harley-Davidson in the ground) and started building sailboats because
that wasn't covered in his non-compete clause.  Like Stan Spitzer, he was a
stickler for quality and details.  Slicker quit the sailboat business in the
mid 80's when that market tanked and his non-compete clause expired and now
builds the Tiara line, really classy high-end powerboats.  His first
sailboat kicked ass in the racing venues and all the Slicker sailboats are,
well, slick.  The quality of the gelcoat and construction is second to none
but perhaps Sir Stanley.

Robert - the S2 line was originally built in Holland, MI for Lake Michigan
conditions.  My problem is not too much wind.  Frankly, I don't think the
change will make a "rats ass" worth of difference in the way I sail and as
Lee implied in his second post, the risk of getting whacked by the boom
because of Mt. Gay or it's equivalent is probably a greater risk than
drowning.

Slim - Damn you!  I was trying to keep this simple but WHAT IF, you could
create two attach points for the boom with a reef for the higher choice.
Back to the drawing board!  You started this mess, come up with the
solution.

Brad