[Rhodes22-list] Diane Russell, a reply about Bimini and Main Sheet

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Sep 2 07:49:35 EDT 2007

Diane,

1.	There is always a way, it just may be inconvenient and a pain to fold and
unfold.  The only person’s judgment on this issue whose opinion I would
follow without months of study is Commodore Stan Spitzer.

2.	Ironically, I have a second boat with the mainsheet located where yours
is.  However, mine has more room from the companionway door to the blocks
and lines.  On my Rhodes the bimini comes over the companionway.  A
shortened bimini might work.  It would have to stop short of the traveler
range of movement.

3.	Another option to consider is to change your mainsheet arrangement to
something similar or the same as current boats.  When Stan recycles boats,
he usually puts in all the improvement changes that he can to the boats.
You may want to inquire if your boat was originally made that way or
modified by previous owner.  As previously said, and we have seen pictures
of Rhodes from before 1973 to present, yours is the first picture of one
with the mid boom style mainsheet.  You may not want to spend the shekels
that it would take to change over.  But I recall a mid 1970’s boat changing
his traveler to the current style.  Somewhere in the archives are pictures
of both systems.  That is a lot of changes just to use a standard bimini,
but with the current set up traveler set, the bimini is easy to use, and
does provide that UV protection for those concerned about too much UV.  I
stow the bimini resting on the cabin top when folded.  I have seen biminis
stowed resting on the stern rails, so a shortened bimini might be feasible.
How good are you on bimini design?

4.	Your ’87 has hardware similar to my ’84.  Erstwhile, Captain Rummy has
noticeably different hardware arrangements.  I have seen earlier Rhodes with
hardware similar to mine, but not later.  I notice that you have the inside
forward tracks, but do not have either a block or fairlead on them.  Do you
have the hardware for your forward inside tracks?  Do you know when to use
them?  Captain Rummy is our resident expert on use of the forward tracks.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to
collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to
long for the endless immensity of the sea"  Antoine de Saint-Exupery