[Rhodes22-list] High thrust engine

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Sep 21 11:44:41 EDT 2007

Mary Lou,

I visited with Burt (Golden Snooch) in Southold, NY last weekend and among
his other interesting adventures was one he related about his engine
breaking loose from the transom while crossing Plum Gut (LI Sound) in heavy
seas (5-6'.)  He has added a large aluminum plate to spread out the stresses
on the stern from the engine on his older craft ('82.)  While I have not
seen any issues on my '81 equipped with a lightweight 2 cycle pull start
Suzuki DT7.5 (< 50 lb), the larger electric start motors may indeed need
reinforcement.  Remember that when in heavy seas with the boat being slammed
by waves, the motor may exert a substantial inertial "moment" to the stern,
expecially if in the raised and tilted position.  The current production R22
has a different stern construction to deal with these heavier engines.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Mary Lou Troy" <mtroy at atlanticbb.net> Friday, September 21, 2007 9:38
AM

{clip}

Our new motor will be ready next early week (Yamaha 8hp high thrust with
electric start).  Once we rassle it onto the boat we expect to go sailing -
here!

{clip}