[Rhodes22-list] Masthead lights (anchor & steaming)

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Apr 13 10:27:48 EDT 2008

At 08:51 PM 4/12/2008 -0400, Bob Keller wrote:
>underway.  Looked into LED masthead lights but they are obcenely
>expensive - $300-500.  So I am going to go with a standard
>incandescent light on the masthead that will run less than
>$50.  Have enough battery power to light it for the occassional
>overnighter anyway.

I've been considering the masthead version of the Davis Mega
light.  It's not LED, but they claim it draws only 0.1 amp and meets
the CG visibility regs.  Comes with a photo sensor for auto on/off as well.

I have also considered just using the "utility" version of the same
product.  Comes on a 15' cord with a 12v plug.  I can plug that in
and hoist it up with a halyard or maybe on a pennant from a spreader
to get it away from the mast.

Price seems to hover around $50 depending on where you like to shop -
http://www.davisnet.com/Marine/products/lighting.asp

Cheers!

John Lock