[Rhodes22-list] Tools, revisited

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Dec 2 09:18:31 EST 2008

Brad, et al:

A few years ago, or was it many years ago, we had an extensive discussion of
tools.  Especially who made which tools and their quality.

I prefer to get quality, except when used over water.  For the tools that I
use over water, I now get throw aways.  Ones that I do not fret about when I
see them going into the murky deeps.

I find throw aways two places:  new throw aways at Harbor Freight Tools and
others at pawn shops.  I know of one local pawn shop that has several bins
of used tools.  I often find good names there as often as I find unks.
However I can get a single 11/16 for a dollar without buying a whole set.

Also we have a local unique place in Belton, South Carolina, called the
Anderson Jockey Lot.  Go there on a Saturday morning and you will find tools
of any description.  And some will be the ones that grew legs.

So consider the cheapest source if the tool might grow legs or swim away.

Ed K
addendum: "Sailing is not a matter of life or death, it is more important
than that." Unattributed