[Rhodes22-list] Now Mandatory Conscription

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Dec 4 13:37:56 EST 2008

When my unit trained with the German army back in the 70s, I believe all
German males had to do 18 months as a soldier.  If you were a conscientious
observer, disabled, etc.; then you performed some other type of approved
service.  Even the privileged couldn't get out of it.

I'm sure it was costly, but every male citizen had basic military training
and could be quickly re-trained to fight for their country if needed (maybe
the 4th Reich?).

Lee