[Rhodes22-list] Brad's water in boat...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Dec 14 09:32:42 EST 2008

Brad,

Think cheap tarp to cover boat even while in water.  My boat at the Marina
is not really under trees but gets leaves and pine needles stoping up
cockpit drain.  I try to inspect at least once every two weeks.

Yes we had 2" to 3" of rain this past week.

Since I expect to be out of town for about two weeks, I resurrected big
whole boat tarp from back of garage to cover the boat.  I do not expect 100%
stopage of leaves and water, but hopefully most.

There are mildew smell removers at your local hardware store.  Be generous.
Also wash all exposed surfaces with mildew removers.  Unfortunately, most
contain bleach or other whitening agents.  Wood bleach used from the paint
department is not bleach but has similar mildew killing properties and wood
lightening effects.

Kill mildew before it causes internal wood rot.

An Electronic Ionizer will help also.

Get tarp to cover cockpit for whenever you are not around.  Northern tool
has them cheap.  Get polyester line that will not deteriorate in sun and
mildew at Lowe's.  3/8 or 1/4 is good for tying tarps.  Not their mixed
fiber, but only 100% polyester.  I looked around and Lowe's was the only
place that had pure polyester, everbody else had mixed fibers.  Same
manufacturer and color in some cases.  If you use a hot knife to cut pieces,
they do not fray and are easy to work.

Around here, the marinas look like blue tarp city, cheap and effective.

Ed K