[Rhodes22-list] Life Imitates Art (Was this the Griswold family?)

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Jan 16 12:29:07 EST 2008

True story here, just about first-hand.

My mother's younger brother was a "carny" worker. My uncle was really
one of those "marginal" type folks we hear about from time to time.  He
developed TB and eventually died from it. When he was hospitalized, he
was put in a ward somewhere near Galveston, TX. The family funeral plots
are in Waco. He had no money, no insurance, but he did have the family
funeral plot that had been purchased for him. My mother drove our family
van (I was mostly grown and in college by this time) to pick up the body
and transport it to Waco.

I was flabbergasted!! I was sure that there were some laws being broken
somewhere, somehow; but couldn't find any, and she (and my sister) were
able (and allowed) to go pick him up, and transport him to Waco.

Brad Haslett wrote:
> *
> http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/oregon/stories/NW_011408ORN_grandmother_roadtrip_LJ.215623a7.html#
> **Family continues Oregon-bound roadtrip with dead grandma in RV * *02:32 PM
> PST on Monday, January 14, 2008* *By JENNIFER IVESON / KGW*
>
> HILLSBORO, Ore. - A bizarre investigation is underway in Hillsboro, after
> police said they were contacted by a family whose grandmother died during a
> recent road trip, yet they decided to keep driving with the body in thier RV
> until they reached Oregon.
>
>  Family drives over 1,000 miles to Oregon with dead grandma in RV.
>
> Their trip began in California and they first headed to Arkansas. It was
> meant to be a special trip for the 79-year-old woman to see loved ones
> before she died. She was suffering from renal failure but was expected to
> live long enough to complete the trip.
>
>  After Arkansas, the family began driving the RV toward Oregon but their
> grandmother died in Wyoming.
>
>  However when she died, the family decided to keep driving and transported
> the body more than 1,000 more miles, until they reached Hillsboro.
>
>  "They said a Dr. had told them, based on her condition that if she did die,
> they should continue to drive to their destination," said Lt. Michael
> Rouches with the Hillsboro Police Department. "She had a personal physician
> here in Hillsboro and the idea was that the physician would have her medical
> records and information about her condition."
>
>  Police were investigating but said it did not appear that anyone committed
> a crime. One of the family members told KGW that the grandma had told the
> family it was her wish to be in Oregon for her final days.
>
>  Even so, the Office of the Medical Examiner is helping with the
> investigation. Lt. Rouches said, "Their intentions in starting this thing
> were good."

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25
S/V Reve de Pappa - Coronado 35