[Rhodes22-list] Do You Remember?

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 01:37:43 EST 2008

I remember all of those--I have always been a TV pop-culture junkie though
not as much these days.  That picture of the Fuller Brush man--isn't that
Red Skelton?  I loved his show and watched it religiously.  Remember the
skits?  Gertrude and Heathcliff, the two seagulls, and the silent skit with
the hobo, Clem Kadiddlehopper.

I had the honor of shaking his hand back in the mid-80s.  He was a
fascinating person.  He had a joke for everyone he met.  One of us in our
party was very tall and he said, "If you were any taller we'd have to
declare you a state."  Another young woman was wearing a mini skirt and he
said, "Is that a skirt or just a big belt?"  And nobody laughed harder at
his jokes than he himself.

I can still picture his broad, warm smile at the close of every show,
"Goodnight and may Gawd bless."

Slim