[Rhodes22-list] Re placing Mast Boom Car

benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Wed Jul 16 10:56:04 EDT 2008

   Hey Tom,

   Don't worry too much about Ed's policing of repetitive topics or
   subject line mislabeling.  Sure, it's nice to have the subject line
   labeled accurately, but none of the rest of us have our Jr. High hall
   monitor badges polished and affixed to our terminals looking for
   transgressions.  I for one can't remember that we covered a particular
   topic some number of months ago, so the rehashes don't bother me a
   bit.

   Now, back to my immediate task of saving our collective national ass!

   Ben
   On Wed Jul 16 8:56 , Tom Hogarty sent:

     Ed, Art, Rummy
     Thanks, now I am again making some progress. Interesting process.
     Hard to
     search for unknown terms. Had no idea this black slider that keeps
     the
     boom up was called a "car." Searched "car" on this site and found
     an
     article about a naked man flagging down an auto with a dead pigeon,
     but very
     little on the mast gizmo. You gentlemen have stepped in and really
     helped.
     I will order the part from Stan this afternoon. My mast is up, but
     I have
     not yet added the traveler in the backstays, nor have I tuned the
     stays.
     Does anyone know if I have to lower the mast to replace the mast
     boom car?
     I did not want to proceed with the rigging only to lower the mast
     again.
     Ed, I am sorry if my mislabeling the subject line inflamed,
     aroused,
     titillated, or otherwise diverted any progressive from their
     immediate task
     of saving our collective national ass.
     Tom
     Both of you guys failed. Look at the subject line for this
     discussion and
     ask it someone else had the same or similar problem could they tell
     from
     your subject line the subject matter of the discussion contained
     therein?
     This is especially problematic for Art who has responded with
     otherwise good
     information.
     When a post is made with 'wrong' subject line, do not hit reply but
     begin
     make a reply using an appropriate subject line so discussion
     subject matter
     can be identified.
     With a subject line of 'Progress', one has to ask how many list
     members
     thought you were progressives having a discussion about 'Progress'.
     Your
     subject line may have eliminated many of the reclusive members of
     this
     forum.
     Even Mark P.'s misspelling got his idea accross. Even a close
     mispelling or
     vague discription in street language is better than a subject line
     that does
     not hint of the topic.
     Tom, if you call General Boats, remember that Stan request such
     calls be
     made late in the day.
     Ed K
     Greenville, SC, USA
     Arthur H. Czerwonky wrote:

     > Tom,
     > I wouldn't lose sleep over the archives issue. Our Rhoadie
     skippers, with
     > just a few exceptions, have enough patience with our fleet
     colleagues to
     > address specific questions like this, even given that many are
     repeated.
     > Your picture says it all - you can see both pins are the same -
     Stan will
     > probably not have a replacement, but can tell you where he gets
     the
     > assembled 'car'. In the interim, the boom will have to be moved
     up or
     > down infrequently - I have never had to put mine into the lower
     position -
     > use a #6 machine screw (or one with reasonable fit, including
     length) from
     > HD to hold it in either position, until you can replace the pin.
     Stan may
     > be able to send you a replacement car for a cost.
     > R,
     > Art

     lower
     mast.
     >>I can see the indentation where the collar of the boom pin latch
     fit.
     How
     >>do I obtain and replace the pin? Does the mast need to be
     lowered?
     >>I did not find the archives helpful.
     >>Many Thanks,
     >>Tom [3]http://www.nabble.com/file/p18477261/IMG_0657.jpeg
     >>

     >>Arthur H. Czerwonky wrote:
     >>>
     >>> Tom,
     >>> Re. the boom dropping - yes, there is a separate pin latch for
     each of
     >>> the
     >>> two 'cars' that travel up and down the mast. Be aware that on
     the IMF
     >>> mast, when you adjust the upper car, the IMF sail and its
     furling tube
     >>> ride up or down the mast also, so additional weight is
     involved. I
     >>> believe the pin for the upper car will be 28 1/2 " above the
     base of the
     >>> mast.
     >>> Happy sailing on a spectacular boat!
     >>> Art