[Rhodes22-list] Tom's Boom Pin Question - My solution

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 11:14:58 EDT 2008

Art,
The simple and proper solution is to order the replacement from GB. Stan is
known for sending parts out quickly. In the interim, I would use a roofing
nail.  It doesn't have coarse threads and it has a large head which will keep it
from  disappearing into the mast and it is galvanized which means it won't
rust. I  replaced my cars with new factory replacements several years ago and the
newer  plastic holds up much better.
Different way to approach sail management in heavy air, but the majority of
skippers will lower the boom prior to reducing sail. The main reason would be
not to give up hull speed and still maintain control. If I know what the
winds  are prior to going out, I will adjust the boom and the sheets accordingly.
Making any further adjustments while out sailing are usually done after
furling  all sail and then going forward if need be. Furling Jenny and furling main
sail  make it an easy proposition, unless you have had to much rum to drink,
which I  never do while sailing.

Rummy

In a message dated 7/16/2008 9:55:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,