[Rhodes22-list] Mike C and squirrels new home in Ohio

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Jul 21 14:16:44 EDT 2008

Mike,

Great looking boat, but I may be a little partial since mine is red too.

The cam cleats are for running the sheets across the decks, as everyone has
stated.  It took me about 100 trips before I decided that I too liked
running the Genoa sheets straight back to the winch.  You seemed to have
figured this out on your first sail.

Using the winch instead of the cam cleat may get your sheet in the way of a
passenger, but I doubt it.  You might also get more of a direct pull from
the eye thingy, but I doubt that it makes a significant difference even in
heavy winds.  It's nice to be able to use the winch, and the "clam" cleat
works much easier than the "cam" cleat.

Just an FYI, if you install a bimini where mine is installed, you'll run the
starboard sheet outside the bimini support and the port sheet inside the
support.  They'll both barely touch the support but there won't be any
interference.

I've never tried running the sheet across the cabintop and then to the
winch.  It would be more of an angle from the eye thingy and a higher angle
down to the winch, but I'm definitely going to try it next time out.

Good luck and thanks for the idea!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD